Brian Monkarsh is a seasoned business lawyer with experience in a wide range of transactional and litigation matters. He has had consistent success negotiating deals, including aircraft sale agreements, equipment leases, and product support agreements with airlines, manufacturers, and leasing companies worldwide. In addition, Brian has been continuously active in litigation for more than 25 years, first as a trial lawyer and more recently as a corporate officer. Working with major companies in Europe and the United States, he has successfully managed — and resolved — substantial disputes in many jurisdictions, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, France, Spain, Italy, and Australia.
A native English speaker, Brian is fully bilingual in French and fluent in Spanish as well.
Selected matters include:
- Aircraft Financing and Sales: As General Counsel of a major aircraft leasing company, Brian led an executive team that raised more than $7.5 billion in an eight-month period through asset sales and secured financings, including Air Finance Journal’s Overall Deal of the Year.
- International Litigation: As Vice President of a leading aviation company, Brian initiated, managed, and settled a high-profile lawsuit against a major international corporation, resolving a dispute that had spanned 12 years and multiple jurisdictions.
- Cross-Border Aircraft Leasing: Brian has served as lead attorney for the lessors in more than 100 aircraft leases, as well as numerous restructurings, equipment repossessions, and airline bankruptcies in North America, South America, and Europe.
- Aircraft Purchase Agreements: Working in-house with a major aircraft leasing company, Brian served as lead counsel in the purchase of more than 120 new Boeing and Airbus aircraft.
- Customer Support Agreements: Brian has negotiated numerous ancillary agreements with aircraft manufacturers and third-party vendors, including product support agreements and aircraft modification contracts.
- Product Liability: Working in-house with a European aircraft manufacturer, Brian conceived the company’s product integrity program and trained its executive team to reduce the risk of product liability.
- Dispute Resolution: In twelve years as a trial lawyer, Brian specialized in business litigation, including breach of contract, unfair competition, insurance matters, and employment litigation. His practice encompassed civil trials and alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
D.E.S.S. Juriste International, University of Toulouse, 1999
J.D., Stanford Law School, 1982 (Editor-in-Chief, Stanford Journal of International Law)
B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1978 (Phi Beta Kappa; graduated with “great distinction” in general scholarship)
English, French and Spanish
Honors and Awards
Maynard Toll Pro Bono Associate Award (given by the Los Angeles Bar Association in 1988 for successful trial of
a pro bono class action)
California State Bar
US District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of California
US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit